Bridges to Russia: Community and Personal Studies
Sign up for the 2019 system!
The STARTALK Student Program, ‘Bridges to Russia: society and Social Sciences’ aims to sign up 20 school that is high heritage pupils (14-18) in a four-week intensive language program conference five hours every single day for an overall total of 100 instructional hours. Pupils increases their proficiency in Russian by examining just how history along with other sciences that are social them to comprehend the whole world around them. The pupils will be able to work closely by having a senior Russian-speaking community user and conduct a job interview, that they will show in class. All interviews are going to be gathered and changed into ‘Bridging the Generations’ project which will be posted into the community paper as well as on the program’s web site.
Bridge 1: Language
- Enhance your bilingual prospective by enhancing your speaking, reading and writing proficiency in Russian
- Learn how to conduct interviews
- Gain expertise in utilizing Russian in formal contexts
Bridge 2: Culture
- Gain a much better knowledge of the history that is 20th-century of Soviet Union while the Russian Federation
Bridge 3: Generations
- Find out about the generation which has resided most of the time in the Soviet Union: the generation that has been created before WWII, survived the Nazi career for the Soviet Union, rebuilt the nation following the war and emigrated through the USSR at a senior years
- Provide valuable community solution
- Help near the gap that is generational Russian-speaking community
Bridge 4: Today’s Russia
- Read about the life of teenagers in Russia
- Interview prominent Russian intellectuals
Whenever: 24 – July 19, Monday – Friday 9am-3pm june
Where: Harvard University
Whom: Russian heritage learners ages 14-18
Just Exactly What:
- Intensive language that is content-based with a give attention to social studies and Russian reputation for the XX century
- Research of contemporary culture that is russian
- Pupils will require AAPPL, WPT (Writing Proficiency Test), OPIc (Oral Proficiency Interview computer-based) ACTFL edorsed
- Registration fee – $100
- This system is totally free (and it is non-residential)
I truly enjoyed exactly just just how Russian and history that is soviet social studies linked to contemporary Russian tradition and long-standing traditions. Having lecturers additionally helped notify me personally more info on the shows and values of Russian/Soviet history and customs. Interviewing folks from previous generations that lived through significant activities ever sold has also been a tremendous experience, when I discovered exactly just what life ended up being like during those times from the first-person viewpoint. This program promoted collaboration among a varied selection of pupils, which created for a learning experience that is successful.
Felix Malamud (alumnus 2016)
I became delighted that my child managed to go to the StarTalk summer program at Harvard university. Not only it did it expose her to a much much much deeper experience of Russian language, tradition and history, but additionally permitted my child to construct enduring friendships with children near to her own age with comparable interests, and talking Russian at an university level, a lot more than she can get from day to time conversation in the home. She ended up being desperate to get every and enjoyed it immensely day. She labored on a particular task discovering Marc Chagall along with the unique chance to see their works in the Harvard vault which are not offered to public that is general. In my opinion that my child arrived on the scene richer in knowledge, language and tradition publicity and friendships — it absolutely was an experience that is invaluable her.
Alexandra Ruban (moms and dad of alumna 2017)
Для меня программа STARTALK была чудесным опытом. Благодаря этой программе я познакомилась с людьми, которые, как и я, американцы первого покаления. В результате этого знакомства у меня появилось много хороших друзей, чьи семьи тоже прошли иммиграцию. Я до сих пор поддерживаю с ними связь. Кроме того, я провела один месяц на кампусе Гарварда. В Гарвард идут учиться самые умные люди со всего мира. И конечно те знания, которые я получила от прекрасных учителей STARTALKa, помогают мне понять истоки моей культуры, семьи и меня сaмой глубже. Я очень рекоммендую эту всем that is программу.